Re: e2fsprogs & sarge

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:44:26AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 05:04:42AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

> > In order to get debian-installer and normal tools & sources in sync for
> > sarge, which is a requirement, I'm going to upload 1.35-8 as
> > 1.35-8sarge1 into testing. You don't need to do anyting. If this upload
> > fails for whatever reason, we're going to reupload 1.35-8 as it was into
> > testing.

> > Sorry for the late warning. If there is any specific reason why the
> > version currently used for debian-installer (1.35-8) is a bad thing to
> > have in sarge in general, please contact debian-release@lists.debian.org
> > asap. Currently 1.35-6 is in Sarge.

> In previous discussions with Steve, I thought we were going to push
> e2fsprogs 1.37-2 into Sarge, per discussions recorded debian bug
> #295422?

> If we the decision of the Debian release team is to use 1.35-8
> instead, that's fine.  There are a number of bugs that are not fixed
> in 1.35-8, including:

>   * E2fsck will now recover from a journal containing illegal blocks.
>   * Fix a double-free problem in resize2fs.  (Red Hat Bugzilla #132707)
>   * Make sure e2fsck doesn't crash if /proc/acpi/ac_adapter does not
>         exist
>   * Make sure that we don't write garbage when writing a large inode.
>   * Add compatibility in e2fsck for filesystems created by Fedora Core 3

> The last one means if we don't use a newer version of e2fsprogs,
> Debian stable will be incompatible with ext3 filesystems created by
> newer distributions, including FC3, RHEL 4 and (probably) the upcoming
> SLES 10.

> But heck, sarge isn't even going to have the X.org server, so it might
> as well live up to its billing of Debian obsolete from the moment it
> was released.  :-)

Yeah, the bugs you mention above are pretty important to get in, so I'm
going ahead and pushing in e2fsprogs 1.37-2.  This version has been used in
d-i daily builds for 22 days now, in addition to the testing it gets in
unstable, so I think the risk of d-i breakage here is low enough to be
justified; Joey, please smack me if you disagree.

I've also personally verified that mke2fs doesn't segfault on 64-bit archs
now, and creates usable filesystems instead; so I think it's best to have
1.37-2 in, I just apparently lost sight of the fixed 1.37-2 along the way.

Sorry for putting you to the trouble of that upload to t-p-u, J. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer