Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:20:54AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
>
>> > There seems to have been quite a bit of activity on this bug since your
>> > message; are you still looking for comments from the release team?
>
>> The hotplug team really wants the new package to get into testing, so
>> we've decided to go ahead and make our changes - they're still sort of
>> major, though. If you guys want to comment on whether that's a good or
>> bad idea at this point, feel free :)
>
> Go wild -- just don't introduce any new bugs! ;)
>
>> > I would note that any bug that can be described as "fake bug to keep
>> > foo out of testing until bar is ready" is almost certain to cause
>> > problems
>> > with partial upgrades.  Although generally discouraged by policy, would
>> > a versioned Conflicts be appropriate here?  (I.e., do you regard the
>> > current versions of hotplug and alsa-base to be usable enough that
>> > users
>> > should be able to install them together?  Bug #241225 suggests the
>> > answer is no.)
>
>> Yeah, there will be a conflicts as well, but nobody (on either the
>> hotplug team or the ALSA team) wants to have to tell users "well, you
>> can either use hotplug or you can use ALSA", hence the fake bug to keep
>> hotplug out of testing until ALSA gets changed.
>
> The normal effect of such a conflict is to impose the restriction "you
> can't upgrade hotplug without removing alsa", which I trust most users
> of testing can cope with reasonably when it scrolls across their screen.
> Want to keep alsa?  Ok, just don't upgrade hotplug for the time being.
> (IIRC, apt-get upgrade will naturally DTRT here.)

Or rather, "you can't upgrade hotplug without removing alsa -- or upgrading
it first".

The point is that the *current* hotplug in Unstable doesn't have such a
Conflicts:, so it can't very well go in!

So there should be a new hotplug upload with Conflicts: alsa-base <<
(appropriate version)?
Or should that be a new alsa-base upload with Conflicts: hotplug <<
(appropriate version)?...
Or both?...

Anyway, the packages with Conflicts: have to be uploaded before anything
should be allowed to go in.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/