Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:20:54AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 01:15:13 -0500
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Can one of the release managers comment on this? Me and the other ALSA
> > > maintainers had planned on changing (perhaps getting rid of) the init
> > > script for Sarge+1. If we need to accelerate these plans, we wouldn't
> > > mind a bit of notice. It's a fairly major change.

> > There seems to have been quite a bit of activity on this bug since your
> > message; are you still looking for comments from the release team?

> The hotplug team really wants the new package to get into testing, so
> we've decided to go ahead and make our changes - they're still sort of
> major, though. If you guys want to comment on whether that's a good or
> bad idea at this point, feel free :)

Go wild -- just don't introduce any new bugs! ;)

> > I would note that any bug that can be described as "fake bug to keep foo
> > out of testing until bar is ready" is almost certain to cause problems
> > with partial upgrades.  Although generally discouraged by policy, would
> > a versioned Conflicts be appropriate here?  (I.e., do you regard the
> > current versions of hotplug and alsa-base to be usable enough that users
> > should be able to install them together?  Bug #241225 suggests the
> > answer is no.)

> Yeah, there will be a conflicts as well, but nobody (on either the
> hotplug team or the ALSA team) wants to have to tell users "well, you
> can either use hotplug or you can use ALSA", hence the fake bug to keep
> hotplug out of testing until ALSA gets changed.

The normal effect of such a conflict is to impose the restriction "you
can't upgrade hotplug without removing alsa", which I trust most users
of testing can cope with reasonably when it scrolls across their screen.
Want to keep alsa?  Ok, just don't upgrade hotplug for the time being.
(IIRC, apt-get upgrade will naturally DTRT here.)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer