Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:27:30AM -0500, David B Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:12:58 -0500
> neroden@twcny.rr.com (Nathanael Nerode) wrote:
> > I filed bug 241225 to prevent new hotplug from going into sarge until the
> > ALSA issue is resolved.

> Can one of the release managers comment on this? Me and the other ALSA
> maintainers had planned on changing (perhaps getting rid of) the init
> script for Sarge+1. If we need to accelerate these plans, we wouldn't
> mind a bit of notice. It's a fairly major change.

There seems to have been quite a bit of activity on this bug since your
message; are you still looking for comments from the release team?

I would note that any bug that can be described as "fake bug to keep foo
out of testing until bar is ready" is almost certain to cause problems
with partial upgrades.  Although generally discouraged by policy, would
a versioned Conflicts be appropriate here?  (I.e., do you regard the
current versions of hotplug and alsa-base to be usable enough that users
should be able to install them together?  Bug #241225 suggests the
answer is no.)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer