Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.4.27 as default 2.4 kernel for sarge

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 11:24:12AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:25:20PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:58:06PM +0200, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> > > There was no final decision if we ship 2.4.27 with sarge.

> > I wonder what needs to happen to have a formal d-k decision.
> > Do other subgroups of Debian have a mechanism for this?  Maybe we
> > need a designated person or persons who can speak for each arch.
> > (Please only reply to debian-kernel on this topic).

> Well, ultimately, the decision is with the RMs. But i guess you are as
> good as any to take that decision.

We depend on the experts (the kernel team) for the information we need
in order to make good decisions -- or better, to help *you* make good
decisions.

Based on this thread and other discussions, I understand that the
current 2.4.26 packages are unsuitable for release because of security
bugs, and it looks like the new 2.4.27 packages are closer to being in a
releasable state than 2.4.26 is.  Compared with this, the NEW delays are
minor; I'm happy to stick out my neck to get the 2.4.27 packages
processed faster if I know the effort won't be wasted.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer