Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.4.27 as default 2.4 kernel for sarge

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:06:46PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> >> Various tasks are in a hold pattern until this decision is made (ensuring
> >>that d-i uses the proper kernel, removal of other kernel packages from
> >>sarge, rebuilding of some packages to fix build-dep issues[4]), so I'd
> >>like to uncover any problems with this proposal quickly.
> >>

> >Because this gives us a shot at having all architectures on the same
> >version for sarge (where 2.4.26 does not due to arm), I agree that this
> >is the way to go.
> >
> >I should be able to get linux-kernel-di-alpha done and uploaded by
> >Monday.
> >
> >Sven, how far out are the 2.4.27 powerpc debs?  If these aren't
> >receiving enough attention because 2.6 is such a priority, I think we
> >need to seriously consider dropping the 2.4 kernels completely for
> >powerpc instead of giving them half-hearted support that will delay the
> >release.
> >

> All here who have 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on ppc should try disk speed tests
> with hdparm: I found my new Athlon (well the mobo's new, CPU's not) is
> 30% faster with the 2.4 kernel.

Have you reported a bug report on this ? And with which 2.6 kernel was it ?

> If something like this is true of ppc too, you wouldn't want to drop 2.4
> kernels.

Well, it should be fixed instead. None of upstream (all the linux-ppc
devleopers) have any interest left for 2.4, so there is really no sane way to
keep the support going unless we do it all ourselves.

Friendly,

Sven Luther