Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.4.27 as default 2.4 kernel for sarge

Steve Langasek wrote:

 Various tasks are in a hold pattern until this decision is made (ensuring
that d-i uses the proper kernel, removal of other kernel packages from
sarge, rebuilding of some packages to fix build-dep issues[4]), so I'd
like to uncover any problems with this proposal quickly.

Because this gives us a shot at having all architectures on the same
version for sarge (where 2.4.26 does not due to arm), I agree that this
is the way to go.

I should be able to get linux-kernel-di-alpha done and uploaded by
Monday.

Sven, how far out are the 2.4.27 powerpc debs?  If these aren't
receiving enough attention because 2.6 is such a priority, I think we
need to seriously consider dropping the 2.4 kernels completely for
powerpc instead of giving them half-hearted support that will delay the
release.

All here who have 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on ppc should try disk speed tests with hdparm: I found my new Athlon (well the mobo's new, CPU's not) is 30% faster with the 2.4 kernel.

If something like this is true of ppc too, you wouldn't want to drop 2.4 kernels.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait