Re: Who checks for bugs fixed in unstable but not in sarge?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 02:21:24PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de) [040812 14:10]:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:21:22PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > * Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de) [040812 12:25]:
>
> > > Why do you think this task is not worked on, if you're not subscribed
> > > to -release? (And of course, Jeroen is not member of the release team,
> > > but I don't care for that as long as the job is done.)
>
> > It was announced that "Official security support for sarge begins" and
> > the toolchain is in order after "12 August 2004".
> >
> > If such an easy and clearly RC bug as #237071 which is already fixed in
> > unstable isn't adressed in testing until today, something is definitely
> > going wrong.
>
> #237071 is _not_ required for security suports. Furthermore, there is
> some difference between "keeping track" and "fixing everything".

It's not required for security support.

But it was announced that the toolchain should be in order starting
today. That's not true if sarge lacks fixes that are already in
unstable.

> > And if it was Jeroen's job as you said, he isn't doing it
> > properly.
>
> It seems to me that you might just have a wrong opinion how jobs in
> debian are done. Nobody says: "Hereby, I order you, $SOMEBODY, to do

I don't think we disagree on this.

My understanding is:
If you announe "next release is targetted at 19 September 2004" you have
to ensure that all work required to achieve this goal is done.

> $JOB.". Instead, people like Jeroen stand up, track problems by
> themselfs. Also, one package being seven days too old (and this means
> a specific problem on one specific platform) is not so bad as you just
> tell us all.

This issue is even present in the BTS.

With the tough timeline the release team set one week is much time.

> > It will be worse between "28 August 2004" and "16 September 2004"
> > when many hundred packages with a more recent version than in unstable
> > whether sarge have to be evaluated and fixed during only three weeks.
>
> You're invited to help there. If you don't intend to help, then please
> stop waisting our time.

If reporting a problem without being willing to solve it myself is
considered evil you'd better close your BTS immediately ...

> Cheers,
> Andi

cu
Adrian