Re: Who checks for bugs fixed in unstable but not in sarge?

Hi, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> BTW: Who had the idea of including three different versions of GnuTLS in
>      sarge?

Nobody. The former maintainer didn't track Upstream; about a month ago,
I took over and started pushing for inclusion of the latest versions.

Since that was somewhat late, we now have two old and unsupported
versions in Sarge.

Fortunately, most (if not all -- depending on the NMUs going smoothly)
programs using gnutls10 will be converted. Transiting from gnutls10 to 11
is a no-brainer and requires recompilation only.

gcrypt1+gnutls7 have a different API. Conversion is rather trivial but
requires work. It's the maintainers' job to do that. I'm sure that most of
them will be happy if you help out. See [0] for the bug list.

>      I'm sure the security team will be happy to support three
>      different versions...

The idea is to rip out gcrypt7+gnutls10, and to make gcrypt1+gnutls7 as
unused as possible.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=smurf%40debian.org

--
Matthias Urlichs