Re: Assignments III (2003/04/18)

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:04:15PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> 	-alsa-lib-0.5

(Posting this now since it's changing day by day and I'm getting the
feeling that other people are working on very nearly the same problem.
How did alsa-driver's urgency get bumped?)

    * alpha: freesci, gnophone, libphonecore-dev, libphonecore1, soundtracker

freesci fails to build on arm, apparently due to a compiler bug. I'll
file that as soon as I get round to producing some preprocessed source.

There's a simple loop between alsa-lib-0.5, esound (libesd-alsa0), and
pmidi. gnophone is already in testing and just requires libphonecore1
not to break. Of the other packages which need to be upgraded
simultaneously:

  * phonecore (libphonecore1) depends on zaptel, which is 5 of 10 days
    old.

  * soundtracker depends on jack-audio-connection-kit and libsndfile.
    jack-audio-connection-kit also needs libsndfile itself.

  * libsndfile is out of date on m68k. #180377 raised to serious. The
    maintainer now realizes it's urgent and will work around it for now
    by disabling the failing test on m68k, since it's "recently-added
    functionality on a non-mainstream architecture". (Obviously the bug
    stays open at a lower severity.)

    Anand Kumria thinks it's a toolchain issue; I'm not convinced ...

    libsndfile has its own loops to contend with, as its soname has
    changed since the last version in testing. For the most part, the
    packages that depend on it seem to be in fairly good shape.
    Unfortunately, alsaplayer links all of this to the libvorbis
    dependency chain.

Anyway, I think fixing freesci and libsndfile will deal with most of the
problems here, at least if other people are dealing with libvorbis.