Re: M68K boot floppies / CDs

> > One thing that did cost a lot of time was the delay in the 'byhand'
> > install of the update files. Maybe the installer should alert the FTP
> > admins of these files separately? Or whoever uploads files that need
> > manual installation needs to CC: his changes file and perhaps a short
> > rundown on the install to the FTP people. Depends on the FTP people what
> > they feel more comfortable with.
>
> Boot-floppies don't seem to take particularly longer than other
> packages that need manual work, actually.  If speed is important,
> then send mail to ftpmaster@debian.org and hope.  Theoretically
> there are five of us, but I don't know if gorgo and ibid are
> brave enough to install disksets yet.

Ok, a CC to ftpmaster is definitely reasonable. As to the sense of urgency
WRT boot-floppies: we had quite a lengthy discussion on that with Vincent,
and I just assumed he'd alert the FTP team of last minute things to watch
out for.

> As to what we're comfortable with, please remember that your primary
> line of communication with the archive maintainers is the changelog
> in the .changes file.  That's what we see when handling packages.
> In the case of the m68k boot-floppies upload of Dec 14, that was:
>
>   * note odd version; not official release - update of m68k boot images
>
> Not much to go on, right?  It doesn't exactly shout "Install me in slink!"
> It doesn't explain what's going on.  In fact, it looks most like a broken,
> accidental upload.  You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that gets
> uploaded to stable sometimes.

Ok, I must have completely missed to understand the point in having
version numbers on packages. The full head of the changes file:

Format: 1.5