Re: M68K boot floppies / CDs

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 10:12:22PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > We should be able to come up with a way of identifying, reporting and
> > fixing these problems in a timely manner, so lets do it so that we
> > don't have to go through this every release.
>
> One thing that did cost a lot of time was the delay in the 'byhand'
> install of the update files. Maybe the installer should alert the FTP
> admins of these files separately? Or whoever uploads files that need
> manual installation needs to CC: his changes file and perhaps a short
> rundown on the install to the FTP people. Depends on the FTP people what
> they feel more comfortable with.

Boot-floppies don't seem to take particularly longer than other
packages that need manual work, actually.  If speed is important,
then send mail to ftpmaster@debian.org and hope.  Theoretically
there are five of us, but I don't know if gorgo and ibid are
brave enough to install disksets yet.

As to what we're comfortable with, please remember that your primary
line of communication with the archive maintainers is the changelog
in the .changes file.  That's what we see when handling packages.
In the case of the m68k boot-floppies upload of Dec 14, that was:

  * note odd version; not official release - update of m68k boot images

Not much to go on, right?  It doesn't exactly shout "Install me in slink!"
It doesn't explain what's going on.  In fact, it looks most like a broken,
accidental upload.  You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that gets
uploaded to stable sometimes.

I first saw this upload when I was looking through Incoming for late
arrivals to install in 2.1r4, while Wichert and I were working on its
release.  We had about 3 hours for the whole thing, so I never gave
it a second thought after coming to the conclusion described above.

The problem at this point (with respect to bug#53683) is that any
change to slink requires an update to its changelog, and the release
of 2.1r5.  I mentally filed it under "stuff to do for the next slink".
(And I fervently hope that I won't be the one to have to worry about it
then, because the situation still isn't clear to me.)

So, what now?

Richard Braakman