Re: Please vendor version tarball for destiny on bioconductor page

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 06:45:51PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> On 9/14/21 5:43 PM, Vincent Carey wrote:
> > I spent some time with the destiny package this morning.  It is the first package I've come across that composes
> > vignettes as jupyter notebooks.  This is interesting and it is nice that R can support this.  To make progress, I found that I
> > needed to enhance my latex/font setup with tinytex::tlmgr_install for these packages
>
> Interesting.
>
> > [..]
> > which seems solvable but I am out of time.
>
> I admit, I do not get that error on building it as a Debian package
>
> > It is mainly up to the destiny developer/maintainer to solve these problems, and as Lori Kern noted
> > the package is currently slated for removal.
>
> ACK.
>
> > If you are willing to work with the source to get it to build for your use, you can clone the source
> > from git (not github) at https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny <https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny>, until it is removed.
>
> Thanks for that link, Vincent!
>
> @Andreas, I cloned that repository, and made a tarball with `$git archive` and on importing that one,
> it builds for me.
> So I guess we will need to patch in a "git_branch: RELEASE_3_13" manually.
> Let me know what you think.

If you ask me what you did sounds sensible if there would be a good
reason to keep that package.  Currently it is suggested by scater and
monocle since it is used in the according tests.  Given that
Bioconductor maintainers confirmed that it is marked for removal and
obviously unmaintained I'd be rather in favour to patch out the according
tests of the other packages and remove it from Debian.