Re: Please vendor version tarball for destiny on bioconductor page

On 9/14/21 5:43 PM, Vincent Carey wrote:
> I spent some time with the destiny package this morning.  It is the first package I've come across that composes
> vignettes as jupyter notebooks.  This is interesting and it is nice that R can support this.  To make progress, I found that I
> needed to enhance my latex/font setup with tinytex::tlmgr_install for these packages

Interesting.

> [..]
> which seems solvable but I am out of time.

I admit, I do not get that error on building it as a Debian package

> It is mainly up to the destiny developer/maintainer to solve these problems, and as Lori Kern noted
> the package is currently slated for removal.

ACK.

> If you are willing to work with the source to get it to build for your use, you can clone the source
> from git (not github) at https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny <https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny>, until it is removed.

Thanks for that link, Vincent!

@Andreas, I cloned that repository, and made a tarball with `$git archive` and on importing that one,
it builds for me.
But I'm not sure if this is good enough to upload, I'm a bit suspicious of the diff, I admit. It seems that a whole lot of
jupyter notebooks are being filtered out.
I'm not certain if this is OK to push either. I'm just pasting what I did.

<Screenshot>
$ git clone https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny
$ cd destiny
$ git archive -o ~/packages/destiny/r-bioc-destiny_3.7.1.orig.tar.gz HEAD
$ cd ~/packages/destiny/r-bioc-destiny
$ gbp import-orig --pristine-tar ../r-bioc-destiny_3.7.1.orig.tar.gz
$ gbp dch -a
$ <Build normally, as you do with pbuilder/sbuild/cowbuilder/.....>
</Screenshot>

Can you try this and let me know if you think it is sensible?
One more thing I noticed is:

-git_url: https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/destiny
-git_branch: RELEASE_3_12
-git_last_commit: a7323c8
-git_last_commit_date: 2020-10-27
-Date/Publication: 2020-10-27
-Packaged: 2020-10-27 23:42:38 UTC; biocbuild
-Author: Philipp Angerer [cre, aut] (<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0369-2888>),
-  Laleh Haghverdi [ctb],
-  Maren Büttner [ctb] (<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6189-3792>),
-  Fabian Theis [ctb] (<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2419-1943>),
-  Carsten Marr [ctb] (<https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2154-4552>),
-  Florian Büttner [ctb] (<https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5587-6761>)
-Maintainer: Philipp Angerer <philipp.angerer@helmholtz-muenchen.de>
+PackageStatus: Deprecated

So I guess we will need to patch in a "git_branch: RELEASE_3_13" manually.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

--
Nilesh Patra