Re: Sorting of '-' and '.' is equal in versions of R packages (Was: Do R autopkgtests not respect versioned Deps?)

On 21 September 2021 at 18:19, Nilesh Patra wrote:
| Definitely. This is what I did, and it worked well.
| But the problem was on doing a "Matrix (>= 1.3-4-2)" in DESCRIPTION file, dh-R interpreted it as "1.3.4.2" and try to find that version in the archive, and
| build would fail because nothing like that exists.
| Same problem with "Matrix (>= 1.3.4-2)" it does not interpret it as 1.3.4-2, but as 1.3.4.2

Yes. CRAN, being more liberal, allows expressions that can lead to errors for
us. I have always found these cases to be exceedingly rare. We have now ~1k
r-{cran,bioc} packages and this comes up ... twice?

| So I had to manually specify this in d/control, and that fixed the problem.
| But curious, would you have a way to make both dh-R and the debian version agree to pull the right version?

My apporach in those cases is (was) always to deal with the locally-caused
issue locally (i.e. a patch if need, or a bit of code, and I may not have
used dh-r at the time) rather than sending something upstream that is a
non-issue for upstream.  (I do not think we look good by spamming upstream
for issues in our tests -- when those very tests pass at CRAN which is what
upstream cares about -- but I made that point before and nobody listened.)

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org