Re: Sorting of '-' and '.' is equal in versions of R packages (Was: Do R autopkgtests not respect versioned Deps?)

On 21 September 2021 12:32:12 pm IST, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 12:57:46AM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
>> I'd have never known if R upstream treated "-" and "." as different.
>
>I think the problem is that they are treated *equal*.

Yes, and
That was what I said "I'd have not known that 1.3-4 < 1.3-2-1 in Debian versioning, *if* R upstream treated '.' and '-' as different"

>This might lead to issues if some CRAN developer of package B decides to
>simply write a '-' as the version of a dependant package A inside the
>dependencies when the developer of the package A has used a '.' in the
>version.  IMHO having two different characters sorting same is a weak
>concept but simply writing a different character at random is a safe way
>to break things sooner or later in an IT ecosystem.

I think it works perfectly fine in upstream ecosystem. Just that it's not compatible with _our_ versioning schemes.
I've fixed the package and uploaded already. Tests are now green