Re: Re: Sorting of '-' and '.' is equal in versions of R packages (Was: Do R autopkgtests not respect versioned Deps?)

On 21 September 2021 at 14:10, Nilesh Patra wrote:
| That was what I said "I'd have not known that 1.3-4 < 1.3-2-1 in Debian versioning, *if* R upstream treated '.' and '-' as different"

It is my understanding that _this_ issue was due also to you specifying fewer
level on the left than on the right as I my believe email showed

   1.3-4-2 > 1.3-2-1

Here it is again more explicitly also showing the output:

   edd@rob:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.3-4-2 gt 1.3-2-1 && echo true
   true
   edd@rob:~$

| I think it works perfectly fine in upstream ecosystem. Just that it's not compatible with _our_ versioning schemes.

I am actually not that far from a 20-year anniversary of the first r-cran-*
package here and I disagree. It can be worked around with care. See above.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org