Re: Sorting of '-' and '.' is equal in versions of R packages (Was: Do R autopkgtests not respect versioned Deps?)

Hi Dirk,

On 9/21/21 6:10 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 21 September 2021 at 14:10, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> | That was what I said "I'd have not known that 1.3-4 < 1.3-2-1 in Debian versioning, *if* R upstream treated '.' and '-' as different"
>
> It is my understanding that _this_ issue was due also to you specifying fewer
> level on the left than on the right as I my believe email showed
>
>    1.3-4-2 > 1.3-2-1
>
> Here it is again more explicitly also showing the output:
>
>    edd@rob:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.3-4-2 gt 1.3-2-1 && echo true
>    true
>    edd@rob:~$

Definitely. This is what I did, and it worked well.
But the problem was on doing a "Matrix (>= 1.3-4-2)" in DESCRIPTION file, dh-R interpreted it as "1.3.4.2" and try to find that version in the archive, and
build would fail because nothing like that exists.
Same problem with "Matrix (>= 1.3.4-2)" it does not interpret it as 1.3.4-2, but as 1.3.4.2

So I had to manually specify this in d/control, and that fixed the problem.
But curious, would you have a way to make both dh-R and the debian version agree to pull the right version?

Kind Regards,
Nilesh