Re: Sorting of '-' and '.' is equal in versions of R packages (Was: Do R autopkgtests not respect versioned Deps?)

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 02:10:40PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> >This might lead to issues if some CRAN developer of package B decides to
> >simply write a '-' as the version of a dependant package A inside the
> >dependencies when the developer of the package A has used a '.' in the
> >version.  IMHO having two different characters sorting same is a weak
> >concept but simply writing a different character at random is a safe way
> >to break things sooner or later in an IT ecosystem.
>
> I think it works perfectly fine in upstream ecosystem. Just that it's not compatible with _our_ versioning schemes.

... and most probably other distributions.  I do not expect that writing
'-' when meaning '.' (whatever sorting is implied) will not lead to
unexpceted side effects and it simply should be avoided.  Finally we
are also users of such upstream code and thus I usually report this
kind of issues.

> I've fixed the package and uploaded already. Tests are now green

Thanks a lot