Re: Need for maintainers

Hi Eric,

[CCing the list] BTW, list policy on Debian lists is to reply to the
list only and do not CC the original poster.  I was not sure whether you
are subscribed but in future I will assume you are and will follow list
policy. ;-)

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 05:24:33PM -0500, Eric Brown wrote:
> > I've added a tiny nitpicking change: It makes sense to add "GNU R"
> > somehow to the short description.  This is for sure missing on the
> > CRAN description but in the Debian universe this hint is usually
> > helpful.
>
> Sounds good.

:-)

> > Since everything else is fine I just uploaded.
> >
> > Congratulations to your first package in the new queue
>
> Wow, that's great and exciting. Thanks a lot!

Just to make you not over-excited:  A package in the new queue has some
unspecific waiting time until ftpmaster finds time to work down the
queue of packages.  The name queue is a bit misleading since ftpmaster
sometimes picks from the middle for "low hanging fruits" (license
checking wise).  Since R packages are usually easy we usually see that
those packages are processed earlier.

> As a next step, please let me know if there is a best way/script to go
> about keeping R packages up to date with upstream. Next I can try to
> update a package.

For updates I strongly recommend the package routine-update.  It was
designed to cope with R packages.  It uses the tool uscan (from
devscripts package) to fetch new upstream versions.  You might like
to put

      uscan --report

in some cron job if you want to become informed about upstream updates.
You can also watch your package at

      https://tracker.debian.org/

(once it is accepted!) or you can also watch your developer page

      https://qa.debian.org/developer.php

(once your first package is accepted).  However, what I usually do is
checking that file in Git:

      https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/maintenance-utilities/-/blob/master/outdated_r-packages.txt

It lists all outdated R packages and usually I simply work down that
list calling routine-update on each package listed there.  The file is
updated twice a day.  In "normal" times this file should not contain
more than 20 packages.  However, we are in freeze for Debian 10 and thus
we should refrain from new upstream versions.  That's why we stopped the
continuous upgrade and will wait until Debian 10 is released.

As a warning: When I'm working down the list I simply run routine-update
also on packages where I'm not listed as Uploader.  Routine-update
generates an entry "Team upload" and this is fine for every team member.
So if you are in the mood of updating some other package than "yours"
that's perfectly fine.  Feel free to ping me for sponsoring than ... but
all this after the release of Debian 10.

> Warm regards,

Same to you