Re: Need for maintainers

Hi Eric,

Am 14.02.21 um 00:10 schrieb Eric Brown:
> I am a maintainer of a few R packages on CRAN and am interested in
> becoming more involved in Debian, but do not currently have any Debian
> packaging experience. Is there a need for additional maintainers in
> this Debian R group? And if so, is there a resource that describes the
> best practices for maintaining R packages in Debian?

I am not sure if I have missed a reply, just in case that I happen to be
the first: Welcome! Everyone is a bit busy with the upcoming Debian
release, please forgive.

Debian always needs hands and brains. I just hope your contribution will
not end with R packages once you are familiar with that process. Is
there a package you would be particularly like to see added to/updated
in the distribution? If not then I would find something for you.

You may want to read:
 * https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer - which will allow you to
update your package

 * https://wiki.debian.org/GNU_R - with references on how to create new
packages.

You may want to just install the "dh-r" package and within that package
find the script
dh-r: /usr/bin/prepare_missing_cran_package

This basically does the job for you, just pass the package name as an
argument.

Surprisingly readable is the Debian policy. This is basically the data
sheet for all the files within the debian subdirectory.

Best,
Steffen