Re: R 4.0.0 coming in four weeks

Hi Graham,

(Three replies in one)

On 28 March 2020 at 09:07, Graham Inggs wrote:
| On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 02:25, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:
| > Thanks for that reminder, it is slowly coming back. I have to look at the
| > 'ben' file snippet again and see if the current pre-release version number
| > can be made to fit so that we do not have to wait for 4.0.0-1.    A strict
| > greater than the current 3.6.3-2 (plus wiggle room for updates to this one)
| > may do, or an explicit '>= 3.6.3.20200326' to include today's version.
|
| I don't think we need to worry about exact versions for the ben file.
| I've adapted Sébastien's one below.  Do I have the correct versions?
|
| title = "r-base";
| is_affected = .depends ~ "r-api-3.5" | .depends ~ "r-api-4.0";
| is_good = .depends ~ "r-api-4.0";
| is_bad = .depends ~ "r-api-3.5";

Yes, that looks spot-on (and I once again was not thinking clearly but hey it
was a looong week).

So I file a bug with that ben file against release.d.o now then, ok?

| I think the 3.6.3.20200326 version could be very confusing for our derivatives.
| I recall we chatted about naming them e.g. 4.0.0~20200326 and I also
| recall the tilde in the build directory name being a problem.  Do you
| know if this has been resolved?

I do not think so, and I believe it is not us.

On 28 March 2020 at 10:14, Graham Inggs wrote:
| I just tried this for myself.  I was able to build 3.6.3.20200326-1
| locally, but renaming that to 4.0.0~20200326-1 caused the build to
| fail as below.  Any ideas?
|
| you should 'make docs' now ...
| make[2]: Entering directory '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/doc'
| creating doc/NEWS
| creating doc/NEWS.pdf
| Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
|   unable to run pdflatex on 'NEWS.tex'
| LaTeX errors:
| ! Package pdftex.def Error: File `Rlogo.pdf' not found: using draft setting.

It is a (very old) issue in the texi2dvi toolchain that once been fixed but
regressed. If you look at the version numbers in my debian/changelog you see
that we did employ the scheme for a few years but alas not now.

On 28 March 2020 at 14:48, Graham Inggs wrote:
| We *might* be able to pull this off in time for Ubuntu 20.04.
| I checked, and r-base is not in Ubuntu main, and is not seeded on any
| of the installation media, which means we have right up until
| 2020-04-23 [1] to upload fixes, and even doing a 0-day Stable Release
| Update (SRU) of the final 4.0.0 version is possible.

Nice. My gut instinct is "let's do this"

OTOH it is a LTS release. Maybe the known stability of R 3.6.3 is better?

| If someone were to file a Feature Freeze Exception (FFe) bug [2],
| explaining why upgrading to 4.0.0 is a good thing, and answer any of
| Ubuntu release team's questions, I'd be happy to manage the transition
| and deal with the (bin-)NMUs.
| I've had experience pushing through an R transition a month before
| 17.10's release [3].
|
| I think starting the transition in Debian and showing good progress
| would be enough to convince Ubuntu's release team.
| The sooner the FFe bug is filed, the better.

I would be happy to help. You can always DM me (eg DM via twitter, handle is
my family name); email is batched and a little less responsive at time).

I am not sure I am familiar enough with Ubuntu innards to leads the effort
there.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org