Re: R 4.0.0 coming in four weeks

Hi All

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 21:31, Michael Rutter <marutter@gmail.com> wrote:
> make life more interesting (like we need that), Ubuntu has a 20.04 has a
> release date of April 23.

We *might* be able to pull this off in time for Ubuntu 20.04.
I checked, and r-base is not in Ubuntu main, and is not seeded on any
of the installation media, which means we have right up until
2020-04-23 [1] to upload fixes, and even doing a 0-day Stable Release
Update (SRU) of the final 4.0.0 version is possible.

If someone were to file a Feature Freeze Exception (FFe) bug [2],
explaining why upgrading to 4.0.0 is a good thing, and answer any of
Ubuntu release team's questions, I'd be happy to manage the transition
and deal with the (bin-)NMUs.
I've had experience pushing through an R transition a month before
17.10's release [3].

I think starting the transition in Debian and showing good progress
would be enough to convince Ubuntu's release team.
The sooner the FFe bug is filed, the better.

Regards
Graham

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess