Re: r-bioc-biocinstaller (Was: r-base breaks 9 autopkgtests)

Hi Andreas

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 00:57, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > I don't follow the reason for the Conflicts/Replaces/Provides.  Did
> > r-bioc-biocinstaller ship files that are now in r-cran-biocmanager?
>
> No.  However, if a user has r-bioc-biocinstaller installed on a box this
> package will not be replaced by anything but it should be removed from
> the machine.  This removal can only approached by some conflict to some
> of the newly installed packages.  I took the comment inside the
> d/changelog I quoted in my other mail as a valid reason for the
> Replaces.

If you want that behaviour, then perhaps src:r-cran-biocmanager should
ship an empty r-bioc-biocinstaller transitional package that depends
Depends: r-cran-biocmanager, but I have no idea if this is really
needed, and it might get tricky if r-base gets a Breaks, as below.

> > I think r-base might need an unversioned Breaks on
> > r-bioc-biocinstaller, because no version of r-bioc-biocinstaller is
> > compatible with r-base 3.6.
>
> Well, that's another way to get rid of that package.

I've just found this in the r-bioc-biocinstaller autopkgtest:
Error: This is R 3.6.1, package 'BiocInstaller' needs < 3.6.0

So I believe r-base is the right place for a Breaks: r-bioc-biocinstaller.

Regards
Graham