Re: More - vs . woes

Charles,

My $0.02 or 200 Yen on this:

 o It is a known feature. i.e. CRAN allows 1.2-3 just like 1.2.3

 o CRAN 'logically' converts and treats them as equal, we do not

 o Hence no bug at CRAN. This matters

 o We do treat it as different (which is defensible)

 o So it is different FOR US entirely BY OUR CHOICE

 o The first (draft) Debian R Policy actually enforced / suggested the
   conversion: we turned all hyphens into dots to only have "our" hyphen

 o I later turned sour on this as it is IMHO a misfeature to have versions
   number "be different" / "look different" -- it can only lead to confusion
   so I / we stopped converting

 o Some packages have not had a major.minor update in years so they still
   have it

 o The problem is _entirely_ treatable at our end as _know_ our versions
   as well as CRAN versions.  We could just change on the fly, or change when
   needed

 o We choose not to, on an issue that is our self-created problem and not a
   problem upstream

 o So I do not think it is fair to ask upstream for a change

But generally speaking, nobody cares around here about what I say for R best
practices or how the R world ticks, so I will try to stay out of this.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org