Re: Announcing the availability of first Qt 3.3 packages

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 10:14:29AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> >> Huh?  That's absolutely no reason to put a bunch of small binaries
> >> in separate packages.  You gain nothing except unnecessary
> >> complexity.
> >
> > Let's see.  I don't consider these small binaries:
> > qt3-assistant_3%3a3.3.2-0pre1_i386.deb          229K
> > qt3-designer_3%3a3.3.2-0pre1_i386.deb           3,9M
> > qt3-linguist_3%3a3.3.2-0pre1_i386.deb           324K
> > qt3-dev-tools_3%3a3.3.2-0pre1_i386.deb          1,2M
> > qt3-dev-tools-embedded_3%3a3.3.2-0pre1_i386.deb 273K

I simply can not accept this massive amount of bullshit anymore. I didn't
ask for an argument; you did, so here we go.

> >> Also, you must only be talking about qt3-assistant, qt3-qtconfig,
> >> qt3-linguist, and qt3-designer.
> >
> >> What you've said doesn't apply to headers, and who the hell knows
> >> what the difference between qt3-dev-tools, qt3-apps-dev, etc. is
> >> anyway?
> >
> > I do, and you would too if you had taken the time to look at the
> > package descriptions:
> >
> > qt3-dev-tools: a number of binaries ( note: architecture dependent, so
> >                you don't want them in an arch independent headers
> >                package ) for normal development with Qt
>
> Who said we need a arch-indep headers package anyway?  I don't know of
> any other library packages in Debian that have one.  Hell, I co-maintain
> one, if not the, largest library package in Debian and it doesn't have
> headers split into a separate package.

Ralf and I adopted Ivan E. Moores idea to have non-mt and mt packges since
it is important to provide both flavours.

> > Anyway, if you're going to be making claims like this, it would be a
> > lot more useful if you could provide us with a proposal about how you
> > would like to see the package split up, so we could consider this in a
> > useful manner.
>
> As I said before, I think most stuff should be moved into a single -dev
> package.  For a working example, see the packages at
> http://bignachos.com/~nelson/debian .

BRUAHAHAHAHA. Okay, I recovered from my laugh-attack, so, let's see. Let's
just look at the .changes-file for a beginning.

"Removed the non-threaded library and plugins" -- right. Who gives a damn
on who needs these libraries? Let's just remove them to have Qt3 split into
less packages!

"- Removed embedded tools"
"- Removed old compatibility tools"

Yeah, of course. Give a damn on people who need these tools; who rely on
that they are included in the Debian packages because they are included
in the upstream's source tarball.

"* Don't enable xcursor support (Closes: #246198)"

Right. Because it's broken, we disable it instead of finding and fixing the
problem. Disabling is massively easier than fixing anyway; only needs some
letters in debian/rules!

Let's summarize what you can bring to the table: Packages that appear to be
structured less complicated and which turn out to be nothing but castrated
if you look at them closely. And some wild number games, of course. I don't
know what your original intention was but to me it seems that all you do is
trolling to gain attention.

Don't expect me to treat you with only a little amount of seriousness; don't
expect me to deal with you anymore.

--
  .''`.   Martin Loschwitz           Debian GNU/Linux developer
 : :'  :  madkiss@madkiss.org        madkiss@debian.org