Re: debian/upstream/metadata: next steps

Le Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 01:04:35AM +0000, Paul Wise a écrit :

> I wonder if storing metadata (including Homepage, debian/watch,
> debian/upstream/*) about the upstream project in the Debian source
> package is the wrong approach. Upstream metadata can change without
> any need for the Debian source package to change (like them switching
> hosting platforms or bug reporting software).

Hi Paul and everybody,

indeed my vision when I started the debian/upstream project was to keep
the data up to date in the VCS that holds the Debian source package,
without tying updates to source uploads, and let data gatherers collect
the information periodically.

I am not going to discuss the pros and cons of centralised versus
decentralised in this thread, but my idea was that, following a
decentralised approach, the source package VCS was a good place to store
and redistribute the information, because the whole infrastructure is
already there for free.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--