Re: debian/upstream/metadata: next steps

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 01:04:35AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> I wonder if storing metadata (including Homepage, debian/watch,
> debian/upstream/*) about the upstream project in the Debian source
> package is the wrong approach. Upstream metadata can change without
> any need for the Debian source package to change (like them switching
> hosting platforms or bug reporting software).

As usual, I'll have to remind people that this is the usual old topic.

Just keep in mind that:
 * we used to have a centralized d/watch overrides in the form of MOLE,
   but that eventually bitrot and was removed
 * as Charles Plessy mentioned, there used to be a centralized VCS for
   DEP-12 stuff, but that was also pretty much abandoned IIRC
 * people keep talking about moving VCS-*, Maintainer, Uploaders, etc
   etc out of d/control, and has been doing so for many years.  The only
   related thing I'm aware of is the possibility of adding an override
   in vcswatch (which is not possible anymore now after quantz's update
   to buster, incidentally), which is a relatively new project.  Nobody
   came forward and did any of the work needed to take Maintainer out of
   d/control.

So, IMHO, any further discussion about "is it sensible to keep $this in
debian source package" is totally pointless until somebody actually
comes up with a working, maintained, etc solution.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :