debian/upstream/metadata: next steps

Hi Charles, Andreas,

DEP-12 appears to have been stalled for a while in the draft phase; I'd be keen
to see if it can be moved forward - and would really appreciate any suggestions
on how to help do so.

Adoption
========

It looks like there are already close to 5000 debian/upstream/metadata files in
the archive at this point. There are specific fields that appear much more
frequently than others:

       key        | count
-------------------+-------
 Repository        |  5483
 Bug-Database      |  5164
 Repository-Browse |  5035
 Bug-Submit        |  3989
 Archive           |  3253
 Name              |  1830
 Contact           |  1554
 Changelog         |   439
 Documentation     |    65
 ASCL-Id           |    65
 FAQ               |    49
 Registration      |    47
 Screenshots       |    40
 Cite-As           |    38
 Other-References  |    36
 Donation          |    26
 Webservice        |    16
 Gallery           |    16
 Security-Contact  |    15
 Funding           |     8
 CPE               |     5

(this data comes from UDD from a month or two ago so it excludes more complex
fields like the Reference field, of which there are close to 1000 instances
according to codesearch.debian.net).

Use Cases
=========

One of the things that I was curious about is the intended audience for
https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata, as well as the relationship to
other control files. I know why I am personally interested in some of these fields
- e.g. using the Bug-Database to build tools to cross-check the Debian BTS and
the upstream BTS for bugs that exist in both or Repository to e.g. cross-check
whether patches have made it in upstream.

The three kinds of control files that I can think of are:

 * debian/control
 * DEP-11 (appstream)
 * DEP-12 (upstream-metadata)

(are there any other relevant files? what about DOAP?)

My guess is that their distinction and use case is something like this:

 * debian/control: Debian-specific /package/ metadata, intended for developers (and their tools) and power users (i.e. not people using gnome-software)
 * DEP-11: /application/ metadata for end-users (i.e. people using gnome-software)
 * DEP-12: non-Debian-specific /package/ metadata

Is that a reasonable interpretation?

There are some existing fields that don't really follow match those
categorizations:

* the field with the upstream metadata "Homepage" lives in
  debian/control and rather than DEP-12.
* as discussed previously, Contact and Name live in debian/copyright rather
  than debian/upstream/metadata

Next Steps

Would it make sense to standardize the current proposal as DEP-12, perhaps with
a limited set of uncontroversial and widely used fields?

Cheers,

Jelmer