Re: Feedback on Package overview page - Distro tracker

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:21:25 -0300, Lucas Kanashiro wrote:

> On 03/27/2018 09:09 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Chirath R wrote:
> >> I have made mockup designs for package overview page as part of GSoC
> >> project. It would be nice to get feedback on the design and if you could
> >> mention which fields are most important.

Yeah, a PET successor arriving! Thanks for your work on this.

> > I find the table layout more useful. Concerning the fields, you need
> > to consider the use-cases. Here are the two main use cases that I can
> > imagine:
> Agreed.

+1

> > As a team contributor, I want to check what packages need to be worked on.
> > In this situation you want all relevant informations of the work to be
> > done:
> > - the action items should be easily accessible at least in the expanded
> >   view, the number of action items by severity would thus be interesting
> > - the bugs data
> > - the lintian data
> > - the availability of a new upstream release
> > - the status wrt what's in the VCS
> > - the grouping by "status/action needed" makes it easy to find a package
> >   with a specific issue to fix and offers a sort of "process pipeline"
> >   where the package progresses from group to group until's ready for
> >   upload
> Initially, my idea was to implement this team contributor view, similar
> to PET [1]. Mainly, because PET is not so easy to evolve and with the
> migration of git repos to salsa it is not working anymore.
> [1] https://pet.debian.net/pkg-ruby-extras/pet.cgi

Right.

So what I like about PET and what I'd like to see kept (this also
answers the question about which fields/information):

- in general the focus on the VCS
- the separation into sections by categories of _what_ needs to be
  done: upload from VCS, fix RC bugs, import new upstream releases,
- for each package a clear view of the versions
  in the VCS, in the archive (in all suites), and upstream
- anomalies like missing tags

Lucas posted a link to a PET3 instance above. I've now undusted my
personal instance of the original PET (the one before PET2 and PET3):
https://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

This show some more features than the current incarnation (please
ignore the design and the completely outdated data).
I made/make heavy use in PET(3) of all the hover items: the trailer
of the changelog of the last upload (with links to the full changelog
in a popup), the links to the bugs (in Debian and upstream, if
forwarded), in the old PET also the patches or the indicators for
wrong Maintainer/Uploaders fields. And also, although it's
not very coherent, the background coloruing and/or hovers that
indicate _why_ a package is in a given section.

I guess the difficult part (apart from getting VCS information in
real-time) is to make a layout which includes lots of information
just one click or hover away and still showing the key facts (the
main TODO for this package) at first glance.

I think https://chirath02.github.io/tables.html is a good start here.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe