Re: Feedback on Package overview page - Distro tracker

Hello all,

On 03/27/2018 09:09 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Chirath R wrote:
>> I have made mockup designs for package overview page as part of GSoC
>> project. It would be nice to get feedback on the design and if you could
>> mention which fields are most important.
> I find the table layout more useful. Concerning the fields, you need
> to consider the use-cases. Here are the two main use cases that I can
> imagine:

Agreed.

> As a team contributor, I want to check what packages need to be worked on.
> In this situation you want all relevant informations of the work to be
> done:
> - the action items should be easily accessible at least in the expanded
>   view, the number of action items by severity would thus be interesting
> - the bugs data
> - the lintian data
> - the availability of a new upstream release
> - the status wrt what's in the VCS
> - the grouping by "status/action needed" makes it easy to find a package
>   with a specific issue to fix and offers a sort of "process pipeline"
>   where the package progresses from group to group until's ready for
>   upload

Initially, my idea was to implement this team contributor view, similar
to PET [1]. Mainly, because PET is not so easy to evolve and with the
migration of git repos to salsa it is not working anymore.

> As an outsider, I want to check what packages are maintained by the team,
> the versions availables and what all those packages are about and why they
> are there.
> - the grouping should be gone, or should be by team-specific categories
>   which are meaningful for the end user
> - all the version data is interesting
> - we want the description too
> - etc
>
> It's not clear that both use cases can be met with a single version of the
> page.

This is a good point, but probably we should accomplish it with another
page. What do you think?

[1] https://pet.debian.net/pkg-ruby-extras/pet.cgi

Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers.