Re: http:// vs. https:// in machine readable copyright file

Le Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 05:09:35PM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> Given that, we were reluctant to change the identifier to https because
> that's actually a new Format, even though nothing has changed.  (We would
> certainly switch to https for a 1.1 standard.)

Actually, there is at least one addition to the format that has gained traction
since it was proposed, so maybe the best way forward is to release a version
1.1 with a HTTPS URL ?

The addition is the Files-Excluded field (https://bugs.debian.org/685506).  It
is now supported in uscan.  Back in 2012 and earlier, there was some opposition
to the use of Files-Excluded, on the grounds that something better can be done,
but since nothing better was done, it is getting time to document this field
appropriately.

Then for the 1.0 URL, maybe the HTTPS redirection can be just turned off.  Other
providers seem to have made such a choice, at least temporarly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/home/develop/https-guidance.shtml#exeptions

Have a nice day,

Charles

--