Re: meaning of O and RFA (was: Re: Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:00:03 +0000
Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 07:47:54PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > * Arno Töll <arno@debian.org>, 2012-09-28, 18:48:
> > >Packages being marked as orphaned, or those being up for adoption
> > >can be immediately taken over.
> >
> > If a package is RFA-ed (as opposed to O-ed), the maintainer retains
> > all the usual privileges, including the right to decide who will
> > take over the package (if anyone).
> >
> > (Or least that how I understand how RFA is supposed to work. Please
> > correct me if I've been wrong all the time.)
>
> How I understand O and RFA : O means that the package has no maintainer
> anymore.  RFA means that the maintainer still maintains the package but
> requests someone to take over.  Anyone can retitle the O or RFA to ITA and
> adopt the package.

  I understand anyone can make an ITA from an O, but not from a RFA. As you
  well pointed "the maintainer still maintains the package", hence it's up
  to the maintainer to decide if the offer is good enough to transfer
  maintenance. Not all candidates are suitable for all packages, so allowing
  anybody to take RFAs could degrade even more packaging quality.

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones