Re: Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal

* Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> [120928 18:48]:
> Reasons to salvage a package
> The package is in clear need of some love and care, i.e. there are open
> bugs,  missing upstream releases, or there is work needed from a
> quality-assurance perspective; AND there is the need to upload the
> package to deal with these  issues; AND at least one of these criterias
> applies:
>
> * There is no visible activity regarding the package [5] for /six months/.

> [5] Activity may be defined in favor of the maintainer if in doubt. A

Why "may" ?

> maintainer may ask for help or welcome a NMU. This counts as activity
> with respect to salvage criterias. If a package lacks uploads, there is
> no visible bug triaging,

I think "bug triaging" is a word meaning different things to different
people. How about "no reaction to bug reports"?

> and - if applicable - the source package's VCS
> does not show commits this is an indication, a package lacks an active
> maintainer.

The way that is written a package which had no new upstream releases,
no bug reports and nothing else to react to for only half a year and
then some new issues (like bug reports) would be an instant candidate
for hijacking under salvaging rules. I'd say no visible activity when
there was no need for activity can reduce the time of later non-visible
but missing activity needed but should not reduce it that much.

> * A previous NMU was not acknowledged, and at least another issue
> justifying another NMU is pending for /one month/ [5].
> * The last upload was an NMU and there was no maintainer upload within
> /one year/.

Does this include "asked for" or "welcomed" NMUs?

> * The package blocks a sourceful transition or the implementation of a
> release goal for /six months/ after a transition or release goal bug was
> filed against the package in question.

Some clarification would be nice here. There can sometimes be quite
longstanding bugs that later can be elevated. (And I think a bug being
minor for some months and only elevated for a week should not yet
count).

        Bernhard R. Link