Re: Please re-enable sbuild log filtering for archive rebuilds.

Le Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 07:55:20PM +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 11:54:46PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > The filtering makes my work easier, because it reduces the size of the diffs
> > without extra action on my side.
>
> And why can't you filter the logs on your own?

Hi,

I can, but I would prefer if it were done automatically.  I think that it is a
general principle that applies to many of our activities in Debian.  Sbuild's
log filtering function, because it exists, saves me the time from
re-implementing a similar function from scratch, and from maintaining and
sharing a script.

Because filtering is by default enabled in sbuild, the logs of the packages
that I upload to the archive, that I either send to the packaging team's list
or commit in the package's git repository, are filtered logs.  I have not
reveived any complain that filtration was harmful, and I feel that this feature
has been benefical to me; it assisted me to spot key differences between
builds.  I think that the benefits would be greater if the archive rebuilds
were also filtering logs, since they use a sbuild version that has that
capacity.

But all of this can be said to be a matter of preference, so how to chose
between people's preferences ?  I propose the following:

If log filtering does not make somebody's work harder, I humbly request that it
is enabled.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy