Re: where to leave info about "bad packages" (in the bapase sense)

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 01:38:42PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Why do you want to duplicate the information between bapase and the
> usertags? I find it quite hard to use usertags to following such complex
> information.

I got convinced recently that we should be more aggressive about removal
requests, also I don't think that such an activity should remain
confined under the "QA hat". Hence I'm trying to make the process more
distributed: as every DD can make an NMU, IMO every DD should feel free
to propose the removal of a crappy package. The process I tried to
summarize is an attempt in that direction.

Now, I don't want to interfere with the bapase workflow (BTW, is bapase
regularly running? the report link from the wiki was 404 yesterday), but
it surely is not accessible to every DD, since you need commit access to
collab-qa.

A second reason is that using the BTS is something everyone of us is
surely familiar with, and the added value of being able to reassign in
the end the bug to ftp.d.o is significant.

> The only garantee that we currently get is that there's no proposed
> removal in bapase without a bug in the BTS. But the BTS might not be
> tagged proposed-removal.

That's not a big deal, we can simply clone/retitle/... a bug
proposed-removal or simply tag it when it is not completely unrelated

> The big problem with the workflow outlined in the wiki is the value of
> "eventually". After how much time is it OK to remove a package? The
> point of bapase was to provide reasonable values for that, and
> automatically track the status of all the packages. If we lose that,
> and let people determine themselves when it's appropriate to remove
> packages, it's a big step backward.

I agree that that's the issue of that workflow, but I was trying to
attack one issue at a time :-) Anyhow, if bapase provide values that's
cool, but I would like it to be more "natural" for regular DDs to
contribute to that mechanism.

Cheers.