Re: where to leave info about "bad packages" (in the bapase sense)

On 03/12/09 at 10:13 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 09:48:44PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > excellent question ! How about a whishlist but on the package itself ? Then, if
> > there is nobody to close it, it will be a great convenience to simply retitle
> > and reassign to ftpmaster.debian.org. If there is interest in collecting these
> > reports, a usertag could also be set.
>
> Yep, this is definitely the best approach. I was in fact wishing for a
> mechanism one could interact with in a more light way than having to
> commit to a VCS (ideally by running a devscript-like command). Using the
> BTS is not exactly so, but quite, and the advantage of reassigning the
> bug to ftpmaster.d.o is a groundbreaking argument, because that way we
> can pass to fptmasters in a single block all the reasons why that
> package should be removed.
>
> ... so, after discovering the nice
> http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/removals page, I've added the
> "Helping out" section that describe the workflow everyone can follow to
> track and request removals. To summarize for those that, like me, were
> not aware of that:
>
> - submit a wishlist bug report against the package user-tagged
>   "proposed-removal" for the "debian-qa@lists.debian.org" user
> - eventually, reassign it to "ftp.debian.org", retitling it to
>   "RM: ... -- RoQA ..."
>
> Now, what I wonder, is what to do with bapase's file pointed out by
> Lucas. Is it reasonable to keep track of things in two different places
> (that file and the BTS)? Would it be reasonable to have bapase use the
> BTS?

I would prefer to track the info at the two places. In bapase, we also
store the date the removal was proposed, to be able to list packages by
date of proposed removal (it makes sense to wait for a while before
removing the package, and it's difficult to track that manually or using
the BTS).

Storing too much meta-data in the BTS usually doesn't work out very
well.