Re: Debconf QA BOF summary / handling of orphaned packages

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:08:56AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > That was not the counter-argument back then [1], it might be a new /
> > different counter-argument.
> Actually, it kind-of was, see the subthread that starts here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2007/08/msg00076.html

I'm offline right now and I cannot check, but I'm happy in trusting
your words. Probably, my memories were biased.

> I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. You want to import all
> orphaned packages into $VCS, so that it is easier for people to work on
> them. But then, you want to allow people to upload orphaned packages
> without using $VCS, which would lead to a very confusing situation.

Actually, I was just arguing that having packages in $VCS does not
necessarily make harder to do QA uploads, because you are not forced
to use / know $VCS; this is no difference with non-QA uploads.

On the contrary, I agree now that if they are not in $VCS yet, forcing
a check in to $VCS to do the QA upload is an additional burden that
should be avoided.

Cheers.