Re: Debconf QA BOF summary / handling of orphaned packages

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> (02/08/2009):
> The packages are still on archive.d.o if they ever made a release (and
> soon more finely grained on snapshots). The typical package did not
> get nontrivial updates in a release cycle before it was removed, so
> the version on archive.d.o will be just as good as the version you
> want to stuff into experimental.

I can think of three packages (maintained until now by Pabs and myself)
that may deserve being kept "somewhere" as they currently are, so that
people can still jump in and not start again from scratch. I believe the
current packages could be better than the last released ones (read: the
ones one could find on archive.debian.org). I guess that having that
kind of packages still available on snapshot.debian.org might be a bit
more useful than only archive.debian.org; but well, VCSes might still be
alive for some time, and that might be enough. Not everyone's using
VCSes anyway.

Speaking of which it might be nice to have some area in collab-maint's
VCSes where to put orphaned (and even removed) packages, so that it's
cleared they're kind-of-dropped.

Mraw,
KiBi.