Re: [RFC] fixing sourceforge watch files

Fabian Pietsch wrote:
* "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> (Tue, 17 Jun 2008
19:11:21 +0100):
[...]
+# If your package is located on sourceforge, you can avoid its
+# mirror system by using the following format. Note that the
trailing +# \?.+ is required.
+http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/files \\
+
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/.+/audacity-src-(.+)\\.tar\\.gz\\?.+

Wouldn't it be better to end the match in "\.tar\.gz.*" instead of (an
explicit \? and) '.+'? That way, watch files wouldn't break should SF
choose to drop the query strings entirely. Avoiding the
mirror_picker.php
URLs should already be provided by anchoring the match at
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/

Probably, yes. I'll double-check the content of a few project's pages just to make sure there's nothing obvious that will trip us up.

Also keeping the "avoid its mirror system" phrase in the comment seems
misleading without the qa.debian.org redirector reference. AIUI, SF's
mirror system will still be used, just a mirror picked automatically
without the intermediary page. Plus, this seems to be the default now,
not a tricky circumvention.

s/its mirror system/the use of a hard-coded mirror/ perhaps.

And perhaps the fact that sf.net URLs were special-cased and
automatically rewritten by uscan in the past should stay mentioned
even if the feature should be removed, to help interpreting old watch
files.

They still /will be/ special-cased and rewritten; I don't believe anyone's proposing removing the functionality, merely encouraging the use of a better replacement.

I agree that mentioning the sf.net rewrite would be a good idea though; I'll add some wording to that effect.

Adam