Re: How are packages associated with resigned debian developers handled?

tim hall wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> On ke, 2008-01-09 at 11:10 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> This is my context, but my question is generic.  How are packages
>>> maintained by developers that resign handled, and how should they be
>>> handled.
>>
>> Why should they be handled differently from any other packages whose
>> maintainers are suspected of doing a bad job?
>
> Because we know (or can reasonably assume) that a resigned developer
> isn't going to continue to actively maintain any of their packages.

I guess that depends on the reasons of resigning. Some people resign out
of political grounds and may still want to maintain packages to not let
down their users...

> What are the reasons for _not_ orphaning those packages? I guess if it's
> bug-free with regular users (i.e. Ain't Broke), we don't necessarily
> want to enter the package into a removal process immediately.

That's totally up to the person resigning IMHO. It's not because not
being a DD anymore, that they don't want to be package maintainer anymore.

>> Developers resign infrequently, and usually explicitly orphan any
>> remaining packages they have. Thus I don't see the need for a formal
>> procedure to handle this; we have enough procedures and bureacracy
>> already. Common sense and good sense applied on a case-by-case basis
>> seems reasonable to me.
>
> It would provide clarity for people like Petter in future and remove any
> obstacles to finding a new maintainer. Otherwise the package would need
> to find a group-maintained 'foster-home' such as debian-qa or
> debian-multimedia for example, which is a lot more complicated and tends
> to fudge the issue. There are already too many packages being maintained
> this way. Surely !maintainer == orphaned by definition, even if Ain't
> Broke is True?

Hmm, debian-qa is not a maintainer, it's not like the QA Team maintains
packages, it is only a go-between maintainers IMHO. I don't really get
the part about group maintenance in this discussion...

An orphaned package is a package which has an orphanage bug filed for
it. If you find unmaintained packages that are not orphaned, please
contact the (listed) maintainer or the MIA Team if you have trouble
reaching this (listed) maintainer.

Cheers

Luk