Re: Orphaned packages with very low popcon numbers

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> writes:
>
>> I'd prefer Debian releases to consist of properly supported packages as
>> much as possible. It's not as if we want to forcibly delete the packages
>> from our user's machines, we'd just acknowledge that they aren't
>> maintained anymore.
>
> Me too, but I wonder if we are actually achieving that goal.
>
> Consider a package which is in this category.  Right now it gets some
> level of maintenance; it gets bugfixes for RC bugs at least, and other
> such things happen.  It gets security updates as we know about them,
> and so forth.

Actually, it doesn't.  :-P  It's a nice dream, but with hundreds of
QA-maintained packages, these nearly-unused ones mostly do not get even
basic maintenance.

> If it gets dropped entirely, then the user doesn't get any notice of
> that fact; their system just keeps on going as before.

Until they run dselect and it shows up as a "local/obsolete" package: that's
how I generally get notice of dropped packages.  I don't know what other
frontends do, but they ought to do something similar.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@fastmail.fm>

Bush admitted to violating FISA and said he was proud of it.
So why isn't he in prison yet?...