Re: List of 52 packages it would be nice to get rid of

(Roland, here's the context of my email by the way:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2006/05/msg00026.html )

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>>*   gforge
>>
>>The most commonly installed binary package, gforge-common, has only 12
>>installations (again I bend my rule slightly).  One of its packages has
>>been uninstallable for 64 days.  There is also a possible
>>security-related bug, #328224 (it is not RC only because no one has yet
>>checked if it applies to the version in Debian, even though the bug was
>>submitted 253 days ago).
>>
>>gforge has one reverse depends, gforge-theme-starterpack.
>
> I think that gforge is a fairly important package, even if it has few
> installations.  Isn't gforge running on Alioth?  If so, that to me is
> reason enough to keep it in.  If Roland needs some help, I can probably
> help out starting in about a month or so.  I would hate to see a
> valuable package like gforge removed.

I don't know about Alioth, but if this is true, someone *really* ought
to look into whether the security bug in #328224 applies to the gforge
package in Debian!

Also, I just want to clarify that I'm not directly asking for removal of
any of the packages I listed (yet) -- I will go through and try to
contact all of their maintainers first, then report back to QA.  Guess
we can consider this subthread as part of that process :-)