List of 52 packages it would be nice to get rid of

Dear QA team,

I've made a list of source packages that satisfy the following constraints:

- Fewer than 10 votes in popcon for any binary package generated by it
- Fewer than 10 installations listed by popcon for any binary package
generated by it (I bent this rule a little in a few cases)
- At least one RC bug at least 30 days old (which isn't just a dummy bug
for the express purpose of preventing the package from propagating to
testing).

It would be nice to get most of the below list out of unstable.  I added
commentary but you can just get the package list by grepping through
this email for this expression: '^*   '  Brace yourself, these packages
are mostly in really awful shape!  I did not filter out things with
reverse dependencies or build-dependencies but I did note them in the
commentary.

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) <racke@linuxia.de>
*   interchange
*   interchange-doc

Interchange has only 3 installations on popcon for any of its binary
packages.  RC bug (data loss) is 182 days old.  Interchange-doc (in a
separate source package) has no bugs, but would be silly to keep it
without interchange.

Ian Lynagh (wibble) <igloo@debian.org>
*   ghc-cvs

Only 5 installations on popcon for any of its binary packages.  Three RC
bugs, the youngest (FTBFS) is 136 days old.

Ian Lynagh (wibble) <igloo@debian.org>
*   hat

11 installations for "hat" binary package (OK, I bent my rule a little
here).  RC bug for being uninstallable is > 1 year old.

Alex Bodnaru <alexbodn@012.net.il>
*   postgis

10 installations for libpostgis-doc binary package (again, a slight rule
bending).  1-year old FTBFS and 4 other RC bugs.  The maintainer was
last heard from in January (cf. #349422).

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
*   poldi

6 installations.  87-day old *critical* bug, #354482.

Eduardo Diaz Comellas <ediaz@debian.org>
*   barrendero

2 installations.  One RC bug, almost 2 years old.

Marcus Crafter <crafterm@debian.org>
*   forrest

(In contrib.)  Two RC bugs, the younger is 200 days old.  2 installations.

Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org>
*   manderlbot

3 installations.  Two RC bugs: a 200-day old "uninstallable" and 185-day
old FTBFS.

Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org>
*   parted-swig

4 installations.  RC bug ignored for > 1 year.

Jean-Francois Dive <jef@debian.org>
*   isakmpd

8 installations.  Three RC bugs (two "uninstallable" and an FTBFS for
good measure), all > 200 days old.

Jarno Elonen <elonen@debian.org>
*   openoffice.org2-soikko

(In non-free.)  7 installations.  Two 50-day old RC bugs filed by one of
the OpenOffice.org maintainers.

Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>
*   chdrv

4 installations.  Two RC bugs including a > 300-day-old FTBFS with patch.

Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>
*   mozilla-locale-zh-cn
*   mozilla-locale-zh-tw

No installations or votes for either.  Both locale packages are
apparently not compatible with the current Mozilla package, according to
two almost-2-year-old bugs.  Their friend mozilla-locale-zh-hk was
purged from the archive in September 2005 (cf. #327673).

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>
*   pike-crypto-build

(In contrib.)  2 installations.  Uninstallable for at least 91 days.

Matt T Galvin <matt.t.galvin@gmail.com>
*   libcwd

(In non-free.)  No more than 9 installations for any of its binary
packages.  FTBFS since 185 days, which according to one respondent to
#340174 would be fixed just by upload of a new version.

Hector Garcia <hector@debian.org>
*   zmailer

5 installations.  Three RC bugs, two with patches that are over a year old.

Bjorn Ove Grotan <bgrotan@grotan.com>
*   python-smbpasswd

7 installations.  Uninstallable for > 200 days.

Yu Guanghui <ygh@debian.org>
*   xsim

3 installations.  Four FTBFS bugs, the oldest > 2 years.  There's
already a bug against ftp.debian.org to remove it, #364619.

Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org>
*   camas

No installations or votes.  Its FTBFS bug is 72 days old, with patch.

Adam Heath <doogie@brainfood.com>
*   kernel-patch-nfs-swap

9 installations.  There is an almost 2-year-old bug complaining that the
package has no copyright file.

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@debian.org>
*   mozilla-thunderbird-locale-nb

No installations or votes.  Uninstallable for 196 days!

Mario Iseli <admin@marioiseli.com>
*   nbsmtp

6 installations.  64-day old licensing bug (GPL linked against OpenSSL).

Oliver Korff <ok@xynyx.de>
*   hoichess

4 installations.  One RC bug, 30 days old, giving FTBFS on amd64.

Mantas Kriaučiūnas <mantas@akl.lt>
*   mozilla-locale-lt

1 installation.  Uninstallable for 200 days.  Maintainer said he would
fix in November 2005, but no apparent activity since then.

Yven Johannes Leist <leist@beldesign.de>
*   xnap
*   xnap-snapshot

(Both in contrib.)  8 and 5 installations, respectively.  Each has an
FTBFS bug > 1 year old (missing build-dep), with patch.

Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
*   spfmilter

9 installations.  Four RC bugs, all > 300 days old.

Roland Mas <lolando@debian.org>
*   gforge

The most commonly installed binary package, gforge-common, has only 12
installations (again I bend my rule slightly).  One of its packages has
been uninstallable for 64 days.  There is also a possible
security-related bug, #328224 (it is not RC only because no one has yet
checked if it applies to the version in Debian, even though the bug was
submitted 253 days ago).

gforge has one reverse depends, gforge-theme-starterpack.

Luis Mayoral <mayoral@linuxadicto.org>
*   harbour

8 installations, FTBFS on amd64 for almost 2 years.

Stephen M Moraco <stephen@debian.org>
*   divine

4 installations.  However I'm a little iffy about the RC bug on this
one, #272393.

David Martínez Moreno <ender@debian.org>
*   openmash

3 installations.  FTBFS since 33 days.

Recai Oktaş <roktas@omu.edu.tr>
*   mozilla-firefox-locale-tr

4 installations.  Has needed an update for newer Firefox since 130 days.
 There's already a request to remove it, #359202.

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@computer.org>
*   kernel-patch-adamantix

6 installations.  Not applicable to any kernel in Sarge -- not stated
whether it applies to anything in Etch / Sid.  This is build-depended
upon by rsbac-admin (see next entry).  There's already a request to
remove it, #364684.

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@computer.org>
*   rsbac-admin

No more than 6 installations for any of its binary packages.  FTBFS for
over a year.  There's already a request to remove it, #364685.

Cajus Pollmeier <cajus@debian.org>
*   php4-kadm5

2 installations.  Requires rebuild for an ABI change (bug > 200 days old).

David Pye <dmp@davidmpye.dyndns.org>
*   xbox-cromwell

2 installations.  FTBFS for almost a year (patch has been supplied).
Recommended by (and recommends) xbox-raincoat, which has no bugs but
only 3 installations.

Gaetan RYCKEBOER <gryckeboer@virtual-net.fr>
*   spip

2 installations.  Configuration program has been unusable for ~2 years.

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org>
*   asterisk-chan-misdn

7 installations.  FTBFS for 64 days.

Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
*   gerstensaft

2 installations.  FTBFS on amd64 for 1.5 years.  A patch has been submitted.

Paul J Stevens <paul@nfg.nl>
*   dbmail

Two binary packages with at most 7 installations between them.  Four RC
bugs include two possible security bugs.  However, on March 31 2006, the
maintainer tagged them all pending - maybe he just needs a push to do
the upload?

Masato Taruishi <taru@valinux.co.jp>
*   ultrapossum-slapd

Two binary packages with 4 and 1 installations.  Two FTBFS bugs > 1 year
old.

Debian VoIP Team <pkg-voip-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
*   bayonne

3 installations is the most for any binary package.  FTBFS with g++ 4.1
reported 73 days ago, although it was only set to RC level yesterday.

Debian VoIP Team <pkg-voip-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
*   yate

None of the binary packages has more than 4 installations reported.  Two
FTBFS bugs, the younger 40 days old.

David N. Welton <davidw@debian.org>
*   rivet

8 installations.  2 FTBFS bugs, the younger of them 79 days old.

Florian M. Weps <fmw@debian.org>
*   libooc-vo
*   libooc-xml

Neither of these has more than 5 installations, and both have 83-day old
FTBFS bugs. libooc-vo depends and build-depends on libooc-xml.

Pawel Wiecek <coven@debian.org>
*   kernel-patch-time

7 installations.  Does not apply to any Sarge kernel - also true in Etch
and Sid??

Pawel Wiecek <coven@debian.org>
*   libvpopmail-perl

(In contrib.)  4 installations.  FTBFS for > 1 year (although the
maintainer has responded to #309373 recently so maybe it will be fixed
soon).

Pawel Wiecek <coven@debian.org>
*   php4-vpopmail

(In contrib.)  No installations or votes.  FTBFS for > 1 year.

Barry deFreese <bddebian@bddebian.com>
*   libsem

8 installations for the runtime lib package.  Uninstallable anywhere for
almost a year.

I plan to go through the list above, contact these maintainers and ask
whether they would be willing to have the packages removed from Sid.
However I don't think I'll have time to do this for another couple weeks
- if anyone would like to start without me, please go ahead.  (But
please let this list know of your progress to avoid duplicate work.)

For the interested, here was the method:

wget http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_vote
wget http://popcon.debian.org/contrib/by_vote
wget http://popcon.debian.org/non-free/by_vote
cat by_vote by_vote.1 by_vote.2 | grep -v 'Not in sid' \
lynx -dump http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/all.html \
	| grep '^Package' | sed 's/[[][0-9]*[]]//' | awk '{print $2}' \
	| sort | uniq > rc.txt
cat low-pop.txt rc.txt | sort | uniq -c | grep '2 ' \
	| awk '{print $2}' | dd-list --stdin

This gave a list of 64 source packages in Sid for which at least one
binary package had < 10 votes, < 10 installations, and >= 1 RC bug.
Then I went through the results manually to weed out source packages
producing any binary package with >= 10 votes or installations, and
those whose only RC bug(s) were not applicable to Sid, were only for
preventing testing propagation, or were < 30 days old.  Attached to this
email is the script I used to find reverse dependencies and
build-dependencies.

The ivtools-interviews binary package has 178 installations and 30 votes
on popcon, saving its source package ivtools from being put on the list
above.  Ivtools deserves honorable mention, however, for having 5 RC
bugs, four of which are > 135 days old.

best regards,