Re: Bugs, usertags, and including more people

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 16:07 -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > > Well, I thought of this, yes.  But there are times when a program uses
> > > more than one language.  For example, Oregano (an electronics program
> > > that I help maintain) is coded in C, uses a lot of GTK, but also has
> > > some perl scripts... So, if a bug occured in a perl script, it would
> > > show up as a C+GTK bug, which it is not...
>
> > Nice example of a corner case but what are these perl scripts doing ?
>
> Does it matter?  The program uses them to convert from one simulator
> format to the other, or something like that.

It doesn't matter, i was just curious.

> > It's mainly a gtk+ program - as it's already tagged, but lacks made-of::lang:c atm.
>
> Well, yes, it's in my TODO list to correctly tag all of my packages.

No problem but i haven't looked into debtags latest tagdb, it's under
heavy update and the merge work with packagebrowser[0] needs volunteers.

> > If you think about it more deeper, what if a random package contain a
> > buggy postinst, prerm, ... but the software itself is written in
> > language x ? The tag won't be useful to prepare a report containing
> > "language x bugs", but "bugs into packages made of language x" imo.
>
> Yes, indeed.  That's why I don't want to rely _only_ on debtags.
> There could be a lang-pkg-debian, or similar, because that's the skill
> needed, even if the script is written in bash, you need to know more
> than how to use the shell to do a correct postinst script.
>
> Or maybe, we could make the language tag be bash, and have another
> subgroup of tags named "skill" which might include things like ui,
> pkg-debian, complex maths, etc... It might be nice to have that too,
> although it might also be more difficult to assess which skills are
> necessary.

Yes i believe that debtags isn't the answer exactly but can be useful
(way better than display section in many packages). You're talking about
something like usertags based on bugtags - i invented it now.

bugtags aren't flexible as usertags and are closer to debtags but aren't
per package itself, bugtags should be per bug. I think that usertags are
much more like bugzilla "saved searches" and bugtags aren't, it'll need
a vocabulary. If you want to merge usertags and bugtags idea, you'll see
a generic tagging system when the user itself can attach any tag in a
bug to show his BTS view to others, works well too.

[0] = http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/

Gustavo Franco -- <stratus@debian.org>