Re: Bugs, usertags, and including more people

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 14:35 -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On 8/3/05, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > Margarita Manterola wrote:
> > > One of the things that I proposed in my talk during Debconf5 is to
> > > have a friendlier bug interface that allows for bugs to be sorted on
> > > the language (c, python, perl, etc) of the code, and the difficulty of
> > > solving them (trivial, easy, interesting, tedious, difficult
> > > guru-level).
> >
> > debtags already tags many packages WRT langugage, so couldn't that be
> > used for the language side of things to avoid duplicating work?
>
> Well, I thought of this, yes.  But there are times when a program uses
> more than one language.  For example, Oregano (an electronics program
> that I help maintain) is coded in C, uses a lot of GTK, but also has
> some perl scripts... So, if a bug occured in a perl script, it would
> show up as a C+GTK bug, which it is not...
>
> In any case, it _would_ be nice to make use of the debtags, since in
> most cases the language tag would be appropiate, I just haven't
> figured out how to do both.

Nice example of a corner case but what are these perl scripts doing ?
It's mainly a gtk+ program - as it's already tagged, but lacks
made-of::lang:c atm.

If you think about it more deeper, what if a random package contain a
buggy postinst, prerm, ... but the software itself is written in
language x ? The tag won't be useful to prepare a report containing
"language x bugs", but "bugs into packages made of language x" imo.

Cheers,
Gustavo Franco -- <stratus@debian.org>