Re: Matthew Vernon MIA (Was: biosquid and Hmmer)

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:25:14AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I attach a mail of Nelson A. de Oliveira in the end of this mail and ask
> for your advise.  Nelson is in the NM queue and I'm sponsoring his packages.
> He did a great job in the past and I want to hear your opinion about my
> suggestion:

>   IMHO it would be best to start with group maintainance.  So I would
>   suggest
>   to add Nelson to the uploaders field.  Thus the package is not really
>   stolen but we can find a reasonable way to update the package for the
>   time Matthew might have time constraints.  I would volunteer to sponsor
>   the package for Nelson.

> Matthew & QA-team, what do you think about this.

I think that if such a change is made to the Uploaders: field of a package
without the maintainer's approval, this means that instead of just hijacking
the package, you've hijacked the package and then *lied* about it.  It isn't
comaintenance unless the parties explicitly agree to it.

If you meant that Nelson would only be added to the Uploaders: field with
Matthew's approval, then I guess I don't know why the QA team's input would
be required.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer