Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Packages need to have maintainers -- meaning, someone needs to take
>> responsibility for the package.  Orphaned packages *routinely* slip into
>> stable releases with release critical bugs that have been in the package
>> for a year or more, sometimes even introduced by a QA upload.  We don't
>> know if these packages have users, but we *do* know there's no one in a
>> position of responsibility over the packages who's using them and is
>> fixing bugs that appear during use!
>
> After having spent a couple of hours looking at the bug database for
> orphaned packages yesterday, my feeling is that what orphaned packages
> really need are users who will actually use reportbug.

I think you are right about this.

Of course, there are a couple of problems with the way reportbug and the
BTS work that I think impact on this.

One is that if you have a bug you don't know you need to use reportbug!
Sounds silly, but for users coming from the 'doze background, persuading
them to use reportbug to file a report is very hard.

Second is that you get very little feedback from reportbug. Yes, you get
emails telling you that the bug is filed, and yes you often get a really
fast response from an active maintainer, but in the worst case you file
a BTS report and never hear anything again - and that is *not*
encouraging.

A mail a month saying "your bug XXXXXXX is still open. N comments have
been submitted. In the last month M bugs were fixed on this package. If
you don't want any more of these mails, reply to this one" would be
positive in this respect.

Third: reportbug should start up with a commented example of a good bug
report, to give people something to aim for. This could be different
each time, chosen from a pool of reports developers had found to be good.

And should the submitter of a bug be auto-subscribed to the bug? I
think at present it is possible to carry on a long debate on the BTS
without the original submitter knowing - which seems to miss the point?

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml