Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Mike Stone:

> If you're pretty much automatically accepting any kind of contribution
> it's not a debian package any more. Just set up your own package archive
> somewhere for packages like this and encourage people to use it.
> notquitedebian.org is available...

My guess is that it sounds like what is happening during bug squashing
parties, except that the work is made more easy: if the proposed patches
are in a VCS, the only work remaining is that to check quickly that
everything sounds good, the conflicts between the patches have already
been dealt with by the submiter.

The non-automatic part, the one saying "this package have been verified
by Debian", should be kept minimal, but should not be removed, of
course. A wiki-debian would not be debian any more :-)

A solution for the orphaned packages might be something like that:
- a VCS open to any registered volunteer (I've never seen alioth, but it
  sounds like a good interface) containing *all* the orphaned packages;
- from time to time, someone from Debian (from Debian-QA? Other? Any
  Debian developper?) get an eye at the news, and check the modified
  packages to allow them to get through and be uploaded;
- if an orphaned package is adopted, then it is removed from this
  system.

That is not as good as having a maintainer for a package, but that is
better then having nothing. And can still be Debian :-)

Regards,

	Benjamin.