Re: plans on orphaning / removing packages not in testing

* Michael Stone (mstone@debian.org) [040618 23:10]:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:27:14PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> >Well, I'm not speaking of investing any time now on them, but just to
> >alert their maintainers and users that if the packages keep on being
> >unfit for release, these packages will be removed after release.

> Why? I'd actually like to see *more* packages that are unstable-only,
> rather than have mediocre or dead-end packages enter the stable release.
> There are a lot of packages whose upstream is a rapidly moving target
> and which there's frankly not a lot of point in packaging for a stable
> release that's got to survive for years.

Two answers to that:

1. I really hope that we are able to release more often in future.
Releasing only every four years is a dead end.

2. Please see "exception" below: Of course, if the maintainer
considers his own package unfit for release because upstream is not
stable enough, than this is ok. But - if the package was removed from
testing because of FTBFS, and just didn't manage to re-enter, because
this bug is still open, than the package really qualifies for removal
/ orphaning.

Cheers,
Andi
--